https://ontariotraining.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/OntarioTrainingNetwork.png 0 0 Jane Watson https://ontariotraining.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/OntarioTrainingNetwork.png Jane Watson2012-05-05 08:00:512012-05-05 08:00:51Writing Style - Business Writing: By the Numbers
Here are a few reminders to ensure your documents are clear and concise:
- Keep your average sentence length to 18 words.
- Avoid sentences that require more than four pieces of punctuation.
- Keep opening paragraphs under four lines in a print document and under three lines in a screen document.
- Keep body paragraphs under eight lines in a print document and under five lines in a screen document.
- Insert a connecting word every other sentence.
- Place a subhead after every five paragraphs.
- Ensure your Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level is under 12, when using the readability statistics feature on your computer.
- Keep the percentage of passive voice sentences in your documents under 30 per cent.
- Be aware that the average person can hold only seven key ideas in their heads. Therefore, avoid lengthy lists.
- Choose the appropriate tone for the reader and the message. There are three to choose from: formal, neutral and informal.
The secret to effective business writing: answer all the reader’s questions.