Today’s workplace is characterized by high levels of expectation; competition for resources is fierce and time frames are constantly shrinking; all this as working remotely challenges many people’s levels of tolerance and good-will. It is no surprise that incidents involving conflict are on the rise. People find their ability to get the job done hampered by counter-productive often dysfunctional conflict. Without addressing conflict, the danger is that individuals and/or team members may withhold thoughts and feelings rather than confront the issues that are keeping them from working in a truly productive way.
This program provides practical ‘hands-on’ approaches for addressing and overcoming negative conflict. At the same time, it offers insight into how to use the positive side of conflict to find new, creative, and mutually beneficial solutions to contentious issues.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Leaders, team leaders and project managers expected to resolve conflicts
- Individuals and team members who feel hampered by the effects of conflict
- Service providers
YOU WILL LEARN:
- To recognize and address signs of trouble
- To appreciate different types of conflict
- ‘5’ classic conflict resolution strategies and their appropriate use
- Approaches that promote collaborative/mutual gain solutions
- How to help employees to solve their own conflicts
- Key communication skills for resolving conflict situations
- About your own approach to conflict
Understanding Your Attitude Toward Conflict
- appreciate the difference between productive and dysfunctional conflict
- implications for your preferred style in addressing conflict situations
- how to think like a mediator
- stress and anger – identify and eliminate your ‘triggers’
- implications for your personal communication style
Conflict Resolution Approaches
- recognize and respond to danger signals that a conflict is brewing
- how to use alternative conflict resolution strategies – best approach
- create the best possible environment for conflict resolution
- differentiate between ideas and personal/emotional conflict
- contract for commitment
Applied Conflict Resolution Skills
- ‘6’ key techniques for addressing conflict situations
- specific approaches to manage hostility, resentment, manipulation, harassment, non-performance and conflicting responsibilities
- steps to create a climate for all sides to listen for understanding
- follow a ‘roadmap’ for mutual gain outcomes
- translate passive or aggressive into assertive behavior
- deal with contentious issues
- apply a model for effective communication
- use generous listening to promote understanding
- use ‘straight talk’ to confront people without creating an adversary
Pre-work: participants are required to respond to a Personal Conflict Challenge questionnaire and a Conflict Styles questionnaire in preparation for this very interactive workshop.
Note: This program is readily adapted to a work group and can be tailored to address specific conflict issues and challenges.
METHODS TO BE USED
This is an interactive day with participants completing individual questionnaires, large and small group discussions, case studies and various scenarios to be resolved.
Course Code: MPR720